Our Keystone Civic Association, originally called the Odessa Lake Region Civic Association, was formed in the 1930’s for civic improvement and promotion of the interests, welfare, and ideals of Northwest Hillsborough County.
It became inactive during World War II, but was reactivated in 1948. Meetings were held in the Lake Fern School building that was located at the junction of Lutz-Lake Fern Road and Gunn Highway.
Early in 1958, the Association partnered with the County Parks Department for construction of a building on property that had been purchased for this purpose earlier in the decade. It was agreed that the county would pour the foundation, and furnish roofing and landscaping if the civic association would supply the concrete blocks, windows, and association labor. Within 30 days, over $3,000 was collected in support of the home for the civic association. After many difficulties, false starts, delays, and arm twisting, the new building was dedicated on April 26, 1959 and has since been remodeled into the community center that stands today.